Is timing really everything when it comes to taking multivitamins?
If you’re taking a multivitamin supplement to improve your health, you might wonder, “Is there a perfect time of day to take vitamins?”
The answer depends on the type of vitamins you take.
Your body needs 13 vitamins to function effectively.1a Based on their solubility, these vitamins can be divided into fat-soluble vitamins and water-soluble vitamins. The former contains vitamins A, D, E and K, while the latter group includes the B-complex and C vitamins.1b
While these nutrients are found in variable levels in food, some people require vitamin supplements to achieve their nutritional needs.
When is the most appropriate time to take a multivitamin?
To determine the best time to take your multivitamin, you must first understand the various types of nutrients in your multivitamin.
Fat-soluble vitamins are better absorbed in your body when taken with higher-fat foods. Because multivitamins typically contain fat-soluble vitamins, including vitamins A, D, E, and K, the absorption of these vitamins is improved when they are taken in conjunction with a meal or snack that contains some fat.2
Meanwhile, the water-soluble vitamins in your multi-vatimin (think vitamin C and those eight B vitamins) only require a small amount of liquid in order to be dissolved and absorbed and begin doing their jobs.3
Should you take your multivitamin in the morning or at night?
It essentially comes down to personal preference. However, choosing the morning is considered a good option as you’re more likely to forget to take your multivitamin at the end of a busy day.
When should you avoid taking a multivitamin?
Many believe taking a multivitamin on an empty stomach is a bad idea, especially if they have a sensitive system.
Sometimes, taking a multivitamin without food can upset someone’s stomach. In particular, probiotics, calcium carbonate, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids might be difficult to digest in an empty GI system.4 This is why Bioplus developed our BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY MULTI-VITAMIN, MINERAL & ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENT5 with quality mineral forms to ensure they’re soft on your stomach and as effectively absorbed as possible.
Another thing to consider is that if taken in excess, some vitamins, such as vitamin B12, might have a stimulating effect and potentially interfere with your sleep.6
If you observe that taking your multivitamin later in the day causes you to stare at the ceiling at bedtime, try altering your regimen to the morning or midday.
Start your sustained wellness journey today!
Not sure which supplements to take? Leading pharmaceutical company Adcock Ingram (Pty) Ltd have a daily vitamin and mineral supplement range, BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY. For sustainable vitality, every product formulation is designed to give your body the micronutrient support it needs.
Consider BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY MULTI-VITAMIN, MINERAL & ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENT5, which includes Vitamin B and Ginseng7, said to reduce fatigue and enhance stamina and endurance. BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY C 1000 MG8 contributes to the normal functioning of the immune system, BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY D39 contributes to the normal functioning of the immune system, BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY B6 + B1210 capsules with folic acid and zinc is a health supplement that reduces tiredness and fatigue, while BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY OMEGA 3 1000 MG11 contains essential fatty acids that support the brain function.
The BIOPLUS® VIT-ALITY range is available at selected Dis-Chem and Clicks stores, as well as selected independent pharmacies nationwide. For more information, visit: https://www.adcock.co.za/ProdVitamins/Bioplus and join the conversation on Facebook.
– – – – – – –
- Molecules: A Journal of Synthetic Chemistry and Natural Product Chemistry. A Review of the Extraction and Determination Methods of Thirteen Essential Vitamins to the Human Body: An Update from 2010. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6099991/. Last accessed September 2022.
- Medical News Today. What are fat-soluble vitamins? Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320310#_noHeaderPrefixedContent. Last accessed September 2022.
- Healthline. The Water-Soluble Vitamins: C and B Complex. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/water-soluble-vitamins. Last accessed September 2022.
- The Upside. 10 Supplements to Avoid Taking on an Empty Stomach. Available at: https://www.vitacost.com/blog/taking-supplements-on-an-empty-stomach/. Last accessed September 2022.
- Bioplus® Vit-ality Multivitamin PI-PIL 0AI-PI024 package insert. Adcock Ingram. 02-2020
- Healthmatch. 5 Vitamins That May Be Causing Insomnia Or Affecting Your Sleep. Available at: https://healthmatch.io/insomnia/vitamins-that-cause-insomnia. Last accessed September 2022.
- Harvard Health Blog. Do ‘energy boosters’ work? Available at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/do-energy-boosters-work-201311156878. Last accessed September 2022.
- Bioplus® Vit-ality C 1000 mg effervescent tablets package insert. Adcock Ingram. 02-2020.
- Bioplus® Vit-ality D3 capsules package insert. Adcock Ingram. 03-2020.
- Bioplus® Vit-ality B6 + B12 capsules package insert. Adcock Ingram. 02-2020.
- Bioplus® Vit-ality Omega 3 1000 mg softgel capsules package insert. Adcock Ingram. 03-2020.
Author: Tanja Schmitz
Founder and Editor of Fitness Magazine. You’ll find her behind her computer or on her bike, dreaming up new ways to improve or create content for you.
Credit: Source link