Change up your wrap routine with these fun folded rice-and-bean quesadillas. Each quadrant of a whole wheat tortilla is slathered in scrumptious Tex-Mex ingredients and stacked on top of each other to create a perfectly balanced, hand-held snack. Creamy black beans get a spicy kick from chili powder, brown rice soaks up the tangy flavors of pico de gallo, homemade guacamole gets lightened up with mashed peas, and fresh spinach adds leafy green goodness to each bite. This is a great meal when you’re in a rush or need something cute and quick to pack into your kid’s lunchbox. Serve with extra pico de gallo or hot sauce, and chow down!
For more vegan quesadilla recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Chipotle Hummus Quesadillas
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- Cinnamon Apple Quesadillas
- Caramelized Onion & Pepper Vegan Quesadillas
- ¾ cup frozen green peas, steamed until very tender
- ½ of a medium ripe avocado, seeded, peeled, and quartered
- 1 cup no-salt-added black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 7- to 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup purchased pico de gallo (fresh salsa)
- 1 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives
- Put peas and avocado in a small bowl; mash them with a fork until mostly smooth. Put beans, milk, and chili powder in another small bowl; mash them until mostly smooth.
- Lay a tortilla on a work surface. Make a cut in tortilla from the center to the edge closest to you. Imagine the tortilla divided into four equal sections. On the bottom left section, spread one-fourth of the avocado mixture and sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon of the nutritional yeast. On the top left section, spread 3 tablespoons of the rice and top it with 1 tablespoon of the pico de gallo. On the top right section, spread ¼ cup of the spinach and top it with one-fourth of the olives. Finally, on the bottom right section, spread one-fourth of the mashed beans.
- Fold the avocado section over the rice. Fold that portion over the spinach. Finally, fold the three sections over the beans. Repeat to make three more folded tortillas.
- To cook, put a large nonstick skillet on a burner. Turn the burner to medium. When the skillet is hot, carefully place two quesadillas in the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes or until quesadillas are golden brown on the bottom. Use a pancake turner to carefully flip quesadillas over. Cook 2 minutes more or until the other side is golden brown. Remove from skillet. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Serve quesadillas with the remaining ¼ cup pico de gallo or salsa.
The post Fold-Up Rice and Black Bean Quesadillas appeared first on Forks Over Knives.
Credit: Source link